1 to 1 with Bonsai Eejit – The Eejit Pine

This bog pine started life with me around 4 years ago. It was collected from a peat bog and planted into a crate with stone grit. Although the tree has always grown well it was time to repot.

bog pine yamadori

The tree got it’s first styling from Ian Young in September 2017, hence the name.

37310653765_5095739162_z36912470430_92726a73ce_z

It continued to thrive during 2018 and needed bit of editing in autumn 2018.

IMG_20180719_205026.jpg

IMG_20181127_163716.jpg

Although it looks harsh in the pictures the tree is packed with buds.

IMG-20190113-WA0018.jpg

Again, the re-pot was very successful with no nasty surprises. It went straight to the tunnel like the rest for protection over winter/spring.

1 to 1 with Bonsai Eejit – PW Bog Pine

This tree was unstyled until a Peter Warren workshop in late 2016. The initial focus suggestion by Peter was to style one or two branches but mainly to strengthen the lower right hand branch, the main feature branch. During a workshop one year later, again with Peter, some bud selection and light pruning was carried out and the tree continued to look good over the autumn.

22228102_1851883811788402_2207042753250338299_n

IMG-20190114-WA0025.jpg

When we removed the tree from the pot, we discovered a good but extended root system. Again the roots were minimally pruned where appropriate. The pot used is quite deep but this was necessary to accommodate all the roots at this time.

IMG-20190114-WA0026.jpg

We used a 1:1:1 lava:pumice:akadama mix with a thin shredded sphagnum dressing,

IMG-20190114-WA0023.jpg

1 to 1 with Bonsai Eejit – Large Hinoki

During a two day session with Ian Young, we worked through a few repottings that I would have found challenging alone.

IMG-20190113-WA0017.jpg

The first was a Hinoki Cypress (Chaemecyparis obstusa ‘Nana Gracilis’) styled about a year previous. It originally was a nursery tree with a lot of crossing and looping roots which had been partially unraveled in a previous re-pot.

IMG-20190113-WA0022.jpg

Un-typically for a conifer a hose was used to remove grit, peat and field soil to allow us untangle the roosts.

IMG-20190113-WA0021.jpgIMG-20190113-WA0019.jpg

Many roots were shortened where possible, a few removed but despite reducing the apparent bulk of the root ball we managed to retain a really good contingent of roots.

IMG_20190113_115947.jpg

Due to the success of the root preparation work, we were able to put the tree into a much shallower pot than I would have initially expected.

IMG_20190113_120041.jpg

IMG-20190113-WA0028.jpg

The finished product (on the day) went into my tunnel for some protection during the remainder of the winter and spring.